I coached the 6, 8, and 8:30 sessions and joined the 9:30 athletes, led by the always delightful Coach Deborah. ‘Twas a full house and a fun workout.
“The 12 Days of CrossFit”
1 wall crawl OR muscle up (bar or ring)
2 Turkish get-ups (53/35)
3 handstand pushups
4 power cleans (95/63)
5 KB swings (53/35)
6 front squats (95/63)
7 box jumps (24/20)
8 toes to bar
9 double unders
10 wall ball shots (20/14 & 10/9)
11 chest to bar pull-ups
12 calorie row
As I did a double yesterday, I didn’t go all out today. My one and only goal was to complete all Turkish get-ups using a 33# barbell with 10# plates (totaling 53# for those of you who aren’t mathletes), something I had never attempted during a workout — let alone for 22 reps. Whilst difficult, I am happy to report that I completed all TGUs. Yay!
Prior to the workout I doubted myself. Yup, that happens sometimes. I thought, Set up a 15 pound barbell with 15 pound plates just in case 53 pounds get to be too heavy. What if you can’t even get off of the ground? No, don’t do that. If need be, you can always use the 53 pound kettle bell. Don’t even think that, Paul. Just know that you’ll be able to do Turkish get ups at 53 pounds. You did sets of 3 each arm at 45 pounds just the other day, and this is just 1 set at a time.
I’m not only my worst enemy I’m also my best cheerleader.
I’ll break it down by activity.
- 12 wall crawls | Perhaps the easiest of all of the activities. Yup, chest and nose to wall at top of rep and descended with control. (Cough, cough.)
- 22 TGUs | I struggled get off of the floor for a couple, but, as mentioned, completed all 22 reps. This was by far the most difficult part of the workout. As I mentioned to the 9:30 athletes, this was a great equalizer, as I could only go so fast.
- 30 HSPUs | All unbroken rounds.
- 36 power cleans | This felt light. Very light. I liked that.
- 40 KB swings | All sets unbroken beginning with a rep from the floor, i.e., no swing before swinging overhead.
- 42 front squats | Uhm, this was painful. Nonetheless, all rounds in unbroken (and loud) reps
- 42 box jumps | Fast, but I missed a couple. Why? Because box jumps are easy, and I didn’t focus. Dammit.
- 40 toes to bar | To protect my shoulders, I didn’t complete unbroken, although I remained on the bar. One at a time, folks. There’s nothing here to see.
- 36 double unders | I completed all rounds of 9 unbroken reps. Uhm, now that I think about it this may have been the easiest activity.
- 30 wall ball shots | Three rounds of unbroken reps.
- 11 chest to bar pull-ups | Both rounds of unbroken reps. Chest to bar each and every time, folks. There’s much here to see.
- 12 calorie row | Twelve strokes!
I should’ve remember to protect my elbows. Dammit. (I made you wait a long time for that one.)