I coached the 6 and 7 am sessions, took Luke for a walk, and then coached the 9:30 am athlete — the always lovely Alexus! She was pleased (or at least she said that she was pleased) that she got to work out with me. Who wouldn’t want to work out with me? Ha!
I completed sets @ 240, 255, 290, 320, and a single rep @ 345#. Lifts felt great today, as I focused on activating glutes and hamstrings. I see a new 1RM in my future!
6, 3-minute rounds:
1 minute of rowing for calories
1 minute of burpees
1 minute of double unders
Rest 1 minute between rounds
Score = total number of reps
My goal was to break 600 reps, and I knew pacing was going to be the key to achieving this goal. I did not stop to record calories or reps, but I do recall, within a rep or two or three, the calories I rowed and the burpees I burped.
But first, some thoughts:
- This was tough, both physically and psychologically. I really had to stay focused.
- I can already tell that this will go down as one of my favorite benchmark WODs. Rowing? Yes. Double unders. Yes. Burpees? HELL TO THE YES!
- The one-minute rest felt like 20 seconds at the most. Just long enough to record reps, take a drink, set rower monitor, get settled into rower, and then, well, row.
- The workout was created to mimic a fight. If that’s the case, I’m ready to fight. Except for the punching and hitting and kicking and bleeding and shit.
- The fifth round was the hardest. Baby, I know.
Totals (again, some based upon recall):
15 calories (I started the timer, ran to the rower, but hadn’t turned on the monitor. Dammit. I probably rowed another calorie or two. Dammit.)
77 double unders
92 double unders
78 double unders
78 double unders
60 double unders
72 double unders
Total = 655
By round 3 I was thinking, “You’ve got money in the bank. Even if you don’t break 100 a round, you’ll be able to break 600.” I was nonetheless disappointed with my score of 92 for round 5. Rowing and burpees were consistent, I just got winded while doing double unders.
I completed as many as 55 unbroken double unders, and no less than 25 (unless time ran out, of course).
I was very pleased with consistency of rowing. I usually rowed a calorie per stroke as well. I made sure that I wasn’t so winded that I wouldn’t be ready to complete burpees.
By the way, did I mention that I completed all rounds of burpees unbroken?